Red Cross College of Nursing
Originally called the Siam Red Cross School of Nursing , it later became the Thai Red Cross School of Nursing and subsequently the Thai Red Cross School of Midwifery and Public Health Nursing. After Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital was founded on 30 May 1914, graduates in midwifery from Siriraj Hospital's School of Obstetrics were recruited to care for female patients, whereas military orderlies were put in charge of male patients. Subsequently, on June 16, 1914, Her Majesty Queen Sri Patcharindhra, the first President of the Siam Red Cross Society, ordered the foundation of the Kingdom's first school of nursing aimed at providing official training in nursing.
Admission was open all year round during the first year of the program. A total of 26 people applied. The curriculum was designed for one year with two final examinations. In 1916, it was extended to 2 years and the first principal of the Nursing School was Princess Mantharop Kamalas. For several years, the school exchanged students with Siriraj Hospital's School of Obstetrics.
1923 The curriculum was extended to 3 years, including, for the first time, the course in midwifery. People who completed Mattayom 3 could apply.
1928 The curriculum was extended to 3 and a half years and graduates would receive a Certificate of Nursing and Midwifery. Applicants were students who completed Mattayom 6.
1941 The curriculum was revised and extended to 4 years, 3 of which were devoted to nursing and the remaining year to midwifery. Applicants were students who completed Mattayom 6.
1954 The revised curriculum required 3 years to achieve a High Certificate in general Nursing and another 6 months to complete a Certificate in Midwifery and Public Health Nursing. Admission was open to holders of a Mor Sor 5 certificate or equivalent.
1970 The school changed its name to the Thai Red Cross College of Nursing, offering a Diploma in Nursing. The College's first director was Khun Udom Supatrai.
1971 The College was affiliated to Chulalongkorn University as higher learning institution.
1978 The College offered for the first time a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing. Graduates were to be conferred their degree by His Majesty the King along with their counterparts from other faculties and institutes.
1979 Under the Thai Red Cross Society's 37th amendment, the College became a Thai Red Cross affiliate and on 13 December underwent administrative and academic restructuring. Professor Dr. Tongchan Hongladarom was appointed the College's Acting Director. Assistant Professor Chuleeporn Chawmethakit became the first director under the selection system.
1983 Two certificate-level specialized programs in Geriatric Nursing and Nursing Care of People with HIV/AIDS were offered. Later, several other new programs were also offered.
2000 The educational quality assurance program was launched.
2001 The certificate programs in Health Promotion Nursing was offered.
The College of Nursing is responsible for promoting education in nursing.
The Thai Red Cross College of Nursing is the first institution in Thailand to offer programs in General Nursing in compliance with the Thai Red Cross's aspiration to produce nurses who will help people with illness or in difficulty regardless of their race, class, religious beliefs, or political allegiance in times of war, peace and during emergencies. The College is also intended to produce graduates with skills in thinking, nursing, and relating with other people on the basis of their professionally moral and ethical principles.
As a high-ranking academic institute, the Thai Red Cross College of Nursing has several main missions. Firstly, it is aimed at producing nurses who are highly qualified and strongly determined to contribute to pioneering research and academic and professional development in their field. The College responds to the country's public health policy under which people will live a healthy and quality life, and is tasked with producing nursing staff whose ideology corresponds to that of the Thai Red Cross.